Our very own Ismael Rosa and his gym, Outpost CrossFit, are hosting a fundraiser for sexual abuse/assault awareness. Please consider attending the event or making a direct donation. Any contribution will make a difference.
Why participate? If you yourself are not a survivor, it’s highly likely that you know a survivor suffering in silence. Participate to give survivors a voice!
The staff of the Lake County Children’s Advocacy Center work diligently to provide the following services to child victims, their non-offending family members and the community at large:
- Investigations of child sexual abuse and severe physical abuse allegations
- Court advocacy and crisis intervention
- Referrals to area agencies and/or private therapists for on-going counseling needs such as Zacharias Sexual Abuse Center
- Assistance to local police departments
- Coordinate specialized medical examinations
- A Speaker’s Bureau, offering presentations and trainings to interested agencies, civic groups, etc.
Current research regarding child sexual abuse reveals the following:
- 1 in every 3 girls and 1 in every 5 boys will become a victim of a sexual assault before age 18
- More than 3 children die each day in the U.S as the result of abuse or neglect
- An estimated 80% of all instances of child sexual abuse remain unreported
- 90% of abused children are abused by someone they know and trust
- Child abuse occurs among all racial and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Children are often threatened or intimidated into keeping abuse a secret
- Months or years pass before a child discloses that they have been abused